Friday, October 17, 2008


So Ireland is cruising along quite nicely. Well not the economy, I was implying that my own experience in Ireland is progressing nicely. The current state of Ireland seems to be on the same bus the rest of the western world is.
I have converted our spare/guest room into a temporary studio. The above in-progress piece is one of currently 6 paintings I am working on. It is getting a little crowded in there. Before I left everyone predicted that Ireland would be a great source of inspiration for me. I don't doubt that, but I also don't want my work to fall into common Irish-isms. So are my new paintings an aversion to expected Irish cliches? I don't think they look very Irish? or maybe they do? I'm new here so I don't know. I will have to see where they go.
We found a great little (well its not that little, really) pub called The Cottage bar. Well, I guess its more of a bar than a pub as the name states. Its located on the way to Salthill, just west of where we are located. As with most things in Galway, its about a ten minute walk. If you come and visit us we will take you there and you will say "What a great pub, this is!" Trust me.
I just finished reading my friend's blog about our recent election. I was rather disappointed that it was a record low voter turnout this time around. I gather that this means the majority of (non)voters are happy with the current political climate. I'm not. My wife and I voted from over here in Ireland. I dont really know what else to say. I think voting is important. Its a hard won right (privilege?) that seems to be taken too lightly today.
Speaking of Michael Byers blog, I have to say his artwork always inspires me to pick up a pencil or pen. Actually Ryan Price evokes the same response as well. But after a few moments it dawns on me that maybe some things are best left to those who know what they are doing. Those two have some wonderful skills with the pen and paper.
maybe I'll give it another go...

2 comments:

Michael Robinson RMT 9:09 AM  

I just wanted to make a note that I stop by and read your musings... they interest me.

Michael Byers 6:24 AM  

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments and shout outs. I'm enjoying reading about Ireland. I love the way this piece is coming. I also love the commissioned piece you did. As for whether or not your piece looks Irish I can't comment. I'm bad with all that origin stuff. It looks like Simon. I hope that's a good answer. I mean it in the dearest of ways. I love what you paint. I met a girl that's an abstract painter as well. I've been getting more and more inspired by fine art. I get inspired by how playful your work can be. The colours and the hidden and at times obvious shapes that I see. I love in my friends work and yours that there is a sense of freedom and play. I love to try that with whatever I am drawing. It's important to feel that as an artist. I believe that's when the work can look forced and contrived.

Well I'm off for now.

all the best.